Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Unicorn chaser

I'm not embarrassed to admit that I find teaching this class to be somewhat depressing. I believe that we are currently in a period where we are losing a tremendous amount of biodiversity. In the future people will look back and ask how we could let this happen. I don't know that I have a good answer.

On the other hand having watched the film in Campbell Hall on the Earth Liberation Front last night (I'd love to hear your comments if anyone else saw it) there are clearly limits to the actions you can take in a civilized society.

Sometimes it all gets a bit much to take. Can we coexist with nature? I think we all need to find our own unicorn chasers. Mine is to go by the Elwood Monarch butterfly grove. This place is truly wonderful - in the sense that it can fill you with wonder. If you haven't been then you should make the time - a perfect study break. The butterflies are early this year and there are already large numbers there. The picture at the top is taken from an edhat post yesterday. Directions here if you want to visit - it's about 4 miles from campus.

No comments: